21 March 2014

Food Friday: Home Cooked Char Kuey Teow

If you ever speak to any Malaysian/Singaporean, one of our favourite street hawker food is Char Kuey Teow. After years of ordering this particular dish from restaurants, I've finally decided to try and give it a go at cooking this dish at home.


I've followed the recipe from Rasa Malaysia but I must admit that I did not make the chilli paste myself. I just used store bought sambal belacan (and I forgot to include it in the picture below) which is good enough in my opinion. Another ingredient that I've omitted is the bloody cockles as I'm not a fan of them at all!!! My Mum and Dad loves it with their Char Kuey Teow but I'll always ordered mine without.


So what's my verdict of this recipe? Taste wise, I actually think it's pretty authentic!!! Only mistake I made was I poured hot boiling water to the fresh flat rice noodles I bought and soaked it for 20-30 seconds, even though I was following the packet instructions!! The noodles ended up soggy. If I were to cook this dish again, I'll definitely not pour hot water over the noodles but will just separate the noodles using my hands instead.

Have you ever tried any recipes that didn't quite turn out ok the very first time? Or are you just a brilliant cook where every single dish you cook turn out perfect? :)


2 comments:

  1. I thought you were swearing about the cockles, but no, that is their name!!! This is a great recipe, and I reckon I could make this. I am a bit afraid of recipes with lots of unfamiliar ingredients. It is good to know bought chilli paste is OK too. Yum, it looks delicious. Oh yes, I have failures, and things that don't quite turn out the way I expected. I do think that the more experience you have, the better you are at rescuing something that is going failure's way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I didn't really know they were called bloody cockles too!!! Always thought it's just called cockles!!

      Delete